Homemade Pop Tarts
Store-bought pop tarts are loaded with trans fats, preservatives, and sugar. If you still want your kids to enjoy this fun treat without all the guilt, try this healthier homemade version they’re sure to love!
Dietary Interests: Vegetarian
Makes: 8 pop tarts
Total Time: 20 Minutes
- 310 g (2½ cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 225 g (1 cup) cubed butter, chilled
- 60 ml (¼ cup) ice water
- 180 ml (¾ cup) fruit preserves, your choice of flavour
- 1 egg plus 1 teaspoon water, beaten
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F) Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the flour, salt, and sugar into your Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 6 and Pulse 3 to 4 times to combine the ingredients.
- Remove the lid plug and continue to Pulse while dropping the chilled butter cubes through the lid plug opening, a few at a time, until all the butter has been added.
- Stop the machine and remove the lid. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the container.
- Secure the lid and begin Pulsing again on Variable 6 while drizzling the ice water through the lid plug opening. (If your dough is not moving, stop and scrape again, being sure to work the spatula underneath the blades.)
- Once all the ingredients are well combined, remove to a mixing bowl and shape into a ball. Cut into two equal portions and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll each dough ball into a 33-cm x 28-cm (13-inch x 11-inch) rectangle. Cut each rectangle into 8 equal pieces.
- Evenly space 4 pieces on each lined baking sheet. Place 1 heaping Tablespoon of jam in the center of each dough piece on the baking sheets and spread out evenly, leaving 1¼ cm (½ inch) of dough all around the edges.
- Gently place each of the 8 remaining dough pieces over the top of the jam and seal the edges with your fingertips.
- Using the prongs of a fork, crimp all the edges and place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Once pastries are frozen, remove from freezer and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 2 Tablespoons thickened cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 120 g (1 cup) icing sugar
- While pastries are baking, rinse your container and add half & half, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar in the order listed. Secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1 and start the machine. Quickly move up to Variable 10 and blend for 10 to 15 seconds, or until combined. Set aside.
- Once pop tarts are finished baking, allow to cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of frosting on each pop tart and use an offset spatula to spread over the pastry. Top with sprinkles if desired. Store in an airtight container.