Fresh Ginger Cake
A pleasantly spicy cake, perfect with a cup of tea.
- 360 g (2¼ cup) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 120 ml (½ cup) plain yoghurt
- 60 ml (¼ cup) milk
- 3 large eggs
- 170 g (¾ cup) light butter spread
- 200 g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 strip lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1½ teaspoon fresh ginger root
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Lightly coat a 23cm X 13cm (9-inch X 5-inch) loaf tin with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place remaining ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 45 seconds.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix by hand until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
Use 400 g (2 cups) of wheat berries in place of whole wheat flour. Grind berries into flour using a Vitamix Dry blade container for 1 minute on High prior to using in recipe.