900g pork neck, cut into 4cm pieces
100g pancetta, cut into cubes (or rindless bacon)
1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup (140g) tomato paste
400g can peeled and diced tomato
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh sage leaves
2 cups (500ml) chicken stock (or water)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
Freshly grated parmesan to serve
Serve with fresh homemade pasta
1. Attach the Food Grinder to the KitchenAid Stand Mixer with the coarse grinding plate and turn to speed 6. Place mixing bowl underneath grinder to collect the minced meat.
2. Feed pork, pancetta and carrots in small batches into the hopper and gently push through with food pusher to collect into bowl; set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent. Add mince mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat has browned.
4. Add paste, tomatoes, sage and stock and simmer, stirring occasionally for 35-40 minutes.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir through basil.
6. Serve with your favourite fresh pasta and freshly grated parmesan.
Substitute pancetta with bacon or omit altogether.
Beef can be used instead of pork.
Substitute fresh sage with 1 teaspoon dried sage or oregano.