With rich mushroom flavour, this risotto pairs well as a side to a roast.
- 200 g (1¼ cup) onion, peeled, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 450 g (1 pound) button mushrooms, sliced
- 1.2 l (5 cups) vegetable stock
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 120 ml (½ cup) white wine
- 300 g (1½ cup) Arborio rice
- 60 g (½ cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Place onions and garlic into the Vitamix container. Add water to float ingredients above the blades.
- Select Variable 5. Turn machine on and off to pulse 8 to 10 times.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan over high heat sauté the mushrooms until tender.
- Remove from heat and reserve ¼ of mushrooms for finishing risotto.
- Place 480 ml (2 cups) of the vegetable stock, mushrooms and thyme into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase to highest speed. Blend for 40 seconds.
- In a large sauce pan over high heat, add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent. Deglaze with white wine.
- Add Arborio and mushroom mixture. Cook over medium high heat adding broth every 3-5 minutes or when mixture becomes dry stirring constantly until rice is al dente.
- Finish with parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with mushrooms and parsley.