For this whole-wheat recipe, leave a strip of peel on the orange before placing it in the Vitamix container for an extra burst of citrus flavor.
- 100 g (1 cup) frozen cranberries
- 1 orange, peeled, halved
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) orange peel
- 60 ml (¼ cup) light olive oil
- 200 g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 240 g (2 cups) whole wheat flour
- 45 g (½ cup) chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly coat an 8 1/2-inch x 4 1/2-inch (22 cm x 11 cm) loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray or shortening.
- Place Vitamix Container on blender base and select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 3. Remove the lid plug and drop cranberries through lid plug opening just until chopped. Stop; scrape sides and remove chopped cranberries.
- Place orange quarters, peel, olive oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla into the Vitamix Container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds, using the tamper as necessary to press the ingredients into the blades.
- In a large-size mixing bowl, combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and whole wheat flour; stir well.
- Pour orange mixture into bowl containing dry ingredients. Mix by hand JUST until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir chopped nuts into the batter; do not over mix.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 30 minutes, then carefully remove from loaf pan and allow to cool completely before slicing.