1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 medium (450g) tart apples such as Fuji, Granny Smith or Jazz
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
40g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
1 tablespoon pure icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C and grease 1/3 cup capacity muffin pan.
2. Combine sugar and cinnamon, mix well and set aside.
3. Attach Spiralizer attachment to KitchenAid® Stand Mixer. Center one apple on fruit and vegetable skewer; attach to Spiralizer.
4. Attach spiral slice blade with small core and position at end of apple. Place large bowl under blade to catch spiralized apples.
5. Turn stand mixer to speed 4 and process until blade reaches end of apple; discard top of apple. Gather spiralized apples and cut in half vertically to create half-moons. Repeat with remaining apples.
6. Combine apples, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon-sugar in medium microwaveable bowl. Cover loosely with cling film and microwave on 100% power for 2 minutes or until apples are just tender, tossing after 1 minute. Drain and allow to cool.
7. Cut pastry sheet in half to create two rectangles. Cut each rectangle into six to create 12 even strips.
8. Working with one strip at a time, brush each strip with some of the butter and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon cinnamon-sugar. Arrange five apple slices along the dough strip with the flat edge of the apple lined up to the bottom edge of the dough, overlapping to fit.
9. Starting with one end, roll up the entire strip carefully to create a rose shape. Place, pastry-side down, into greased muffin tin. Repeat with remaining apples and pastry strips. Sprinkle with any remaining cinnamon-sugar.
10. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown and crisp. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove tarts from pan; cool completely on cooling rack. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Preparation: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min